COMMUNITY & ENVIRONMENT - Implementation
Does the company conduct supplier assessments or audits with regard to their suppliers’ environmental or community impacts on children?
- 10 = Yes, the company conducts supplier assessments or audits to understand their suppliers’ impact on children in relation to the environment or on children in the community.
- 5 = The company conducts supplier assessments or audits regarding their suppliers’ impact on environment or the community. Children, however, are not specifically mentioned.
- 0 = No, the company does not conduct supplier assessments or audits with regard to their suppliers’ impact on environment or the community, or this practice is not publicly described.
Why is this important?
A large part of many companies’ impacts on children’s lives is through their supply chain. To be able to monitor issues such as consequences of suppliers’ environmental or community footprint, it is of vital importance to clearly convey to suppliers that these are issues they will be measured on.
About the scoring
A score of 10 is given if the company’s publicly available information includes a clear description of actual or potential impact that their suppliers have on children in relation to environmental performance, e.g.:
- Health or developmental impact on children
- Impact on children in the community as a consequence of operations/facilities (i.e. use of land, traffic hazards, indigenous communities, etc.)
A score of 5 is given if these assessments and audits focusing on suppliers’ impact on the environment and the community does not explicitly focus on children.
N.B. We are looking at whether the company describes the process for supplier assessments or audits, as well as which issues they focus on.
Children’s Rights and Business Principles:
- All business should respect and support children’s rights in relation to the environment and to land acquisition and use (Principle 7)
- All business should respect and support children’s rights in security arrangements (Principle 8)
The GRI standard:
- Reference 103-2, 308-1, 414-1